The return of school means the return of all sorts of after-school activities. Here's a list of 10 things your kids can get involved in locally for fun, for supervision, or to supplement what they're doing in school.
1. At , parents can sign up their school-age kids for an after school care program where they'll have a chance to do their homework, play outside, have a snack, and other activities until 6:30 p.m. up to five days a week. Tutor Time also offers a weekly sports group playtime session for preschool age kids, where a different sport is taught each week using soft equipment.
2. The is well-known among parents for having great after-school activities for kids and teens. Some library programs now offer as well.
3. You can sign up for dance lessons at one of several local academies: Chance to Dance, , and are a few that come to mind in Three Village.
4. Sign up for a gymnastics class at in Setauket.
5. Try out for the Three Village Swim Club at a tryout session that is typically held the second week in September. For more information, visit the TVSC website.
6. Sign up for martial arts. Three Village has many martial arts studios, including , , the Japan Karate Association of Stony Brook, and .
7. If your child loves art, consider stopping by Michael's in Lake Grove, where kids can participate in art projects led by staff members on a daily and weekly basis. The full schedule of events will be available in stores.
8. Registration for youth soccer via the Three Village Soccer Club is ongoing for a season that begins Sept. 11. For more information, visit the Three Village Soccer Club's website.
9. Kids ages 12 and up can sign up for any of the general knitting classes at Rumpelstiltskin Yarns, which has locations in Stony Brook and Sayville.