The race between Anthony Moncayo and Kara Hahn for Suffolk County's fifth legislative district is partly because there is no incumbent candidate in place. That's why Patch has given the candidates the opportunity to share what they feel are the five most important things about their campaigns. You can also watch a video of the candidates talking about their campaigns .
Here's what Moncayo had to say.
- I have the executive level leadership and decision making experience necessary to represent and serve the constituents of the Fifth Legislative District in the Suffolk County Legislature. This executive level leadership and decision-making experience was honed by 30-years of military service; I am a retired Colonel, US Army, and have served during times, of peace. International crisis and war with service in Europe, Central America, The Caribbean, and the Middle East. For almost ten years I have served on three general officers personal staffs (800th Military Police Brigade and 353rd Civil Affairs Command) as their Command Judge Advocate (legal advisor); I was a Chief of Staff to the commander (a Major General) at the 77th Regional Readiness Command, and along with the comptroller managed a budget of $63 million dollars; as a commander (4th Legal Support Organization) I was responsible for the training, safety, health, welfare, of the soldiers under my command. In my civilian career, in addition to private practice, I served for four years as a law clerk (performing research and writing draft legal decisions and opinions) for a Suffolk County Court Judge, and a New York State Supreme Court Justice. For 15 years I served as an Assistant Suffolk County Attorney in Tort Litigation Bureau as a trial and appellate court attorney where I defended the County’s Interests State and Federal court. I will bring to the Suffolk County Legislature that same executive level leadership and decision making experience, moral courage, determination, perseverance and mature common sense approach to solving the issues addressing the County that I have already demonstrated in my 30 years of military service as well as my other positions of trust and responsibility.
- During this campaign I have knocked on close to 6,200 doors; the issues that the constituents through out the 5th Legislative District have been consistently stating to me are: jobs, taxes, public safety, and a pervasive fear of the direction that our country and county are heading, and that the survival of the American Dream and the middle class is no longer sustainable/obtainable in Suffolk County.
- There are five points that I have been stressing during my campaign: 1) I will bring private sector principles to Suffolk County Government; 2) I will control spending; 4) I will work to create private sector jobs; 4) I will preserve our quality of life and keep our families safe; and 5) I will protect our shores and environment. Through Zero Based Budgeting, and bringing private sector principles to government, the Republican Supervisor and Republican Town Council of East Hampton have reduced their Town Budget by a phenomenal 17 percent without a reduction in services or layoffs. I will bring this same proven fiscally responsible approach to government budgeting to the Suffolk County Legislature.
- I have not accepted the endorsement of any special interest groups. My sole allegiance is to the oppressed, abused, and taken for granted middle class and small business owner in Suffolk County. Also, I am not associated with the Suffolk County legislature and thus, I am not part of the problem confronting the county budget today, but I am part of the solution.
- I have been a Suffolk County resident for 53 years, a Brookhaven Town resident for 38 years, and a homeowner and taxpayer in East Setauket for over 25 years. I attended Hofstra University earning my degree in Political Science. My legal training was at The John Marshall Law School, Chicago Illinois, and I am admitted to practice law in Illinois and New York. I am a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3054, American Legion Post 432, US Army War College Alumni Association, and the Setauket Yacht Club. I am an avid sailor, scuba diver, and a private pilot. I describe Suffolk County in one word: Home.