Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these events taking place in and around your community.
- Gallery North’s annual outdoor art show is set for this weekend from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. Admission is free to the event, which will feature more than 100 artists.
- Minnesauke Elementary’s annual Harvest Festival is set for Saturday from noon to 4 p.m., featuring food catered by Moe’s Southwestern Grill, Cindy’s Painting Piggies, more than 20 vendors, games, a pie eating contest and more ($8 per person).
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Stony Brook will hold a giant community tag sale on church grounds on Saturday starting at 10 a.m.
Arts & Entertainment
- The Staller Center opens its 25th anniversary season with eight performances of the play “Kimberly Akimbo,” set for Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. both this weekend and next weekend (tickets $28).
- Setauket Elementary School’s back-to-school bash is set for Friday evening at 6 p.m. (free).
- Check out this origami workshop for kids ages 8 through 12 at Emma S. Clark Memorial Library on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (free).
- Check out the LEGO creations at the Ward Melville Heritage Organization’s first-ever LEGO building contest, beginning Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Educational & Cultural Center.
- The “Five Senses Walk” at West Meadow Beach is a free family event from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
- The main exhibit at the Long Island Museum of Art, History and Carriages in Stony Brook is “Coney Island and Jones Beach: Empires by the Sea.”
- Check out the Discovery Cruise out of Stony Brook Harbor, which still has a few weeks’ worth of sailing times. Click here for a PDF of the full schedule.
- On Friday, the Town of Brookhaven will hold a full moon hike at West Meadow Beach from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for this free event.
- Safely dispose of used cell phones, computers and electronics at the e-Waste Collection Event Saturday in the main parking lot of the Port Jefferson Library from 10 a.m. until 2p.m.
- Certified Yoga Instructor Laurel Frey will conduct a six-session yoga workshop program. Please come dressed to participate including a yoga mat or towel. Port Jefferson Library, Saturday, 10 a.m.
- Wendy Harpham, MD, a 23-year cancer survivor, best-selling author, nationally recognized speaker and patient advocate will be the keynote speaker at the 17th annual Breast Cancer Victory Day on Saturday, at noon at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital.
- Shop for local produce at the Port Jefferson Farmers Market Sunday morning from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. in the Lanie’s Way parking lot.
- The Denice Given Band will be taking the stage, Sunday, September 22 for the "Pets of Port" Reception, from noon to 4 pm, during a Mini-Pet Expo at Mayor Jeanne Garant Harborfront Park, performing 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM, playing music that spans the 40's to now.
- Lee McAllister, naturalist and author of the book, “Hiking On Long Island,” will discuss the many hiking opportunities on Long Island including the 125 mile Paumanok Path. Port Jefferson Library, 7 p.m.
- Learn how How Karma Colors Our World at the Dipamkara Meditation Center on Sunday at 10:30 a.m.
Miller Place-Rocky Point
- Enjoy a Night of Laughs right in your back yard. Headliner and native Long Islander Maria Walsh also known as "The Naughty Mommy" and winner of Last Comic Standing will be at Is a Love Cafe tonight at 8 p.m.
- Looking for a pet? Why not adopt? On Saturday, the Sound Beach Civic Association will host the Second Annual Pet-Adopt-A-Thon. All proceeds from the event will be evenly divided among the participating rescue groups.
- Free yogurt on Saturday. Head down to Red Mango in Miller Place where they will have their Grand Opening and ribbon cutting. Customers can enjoy free yogurt from 12 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Take a Koga class Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. at the Heritage Center; 633 Mount Sinai Coram Road, in Mount Sinai.
- The L.I. Adrenaline Girls Lacrosse Club is having Try Outs Saturday and for grades 5-11. Another Try Out is scheduled for Sunday, October 6. For information go to www.galslax.com.
- The Long Island Maritime Museum’s fifth annual Kite Festival takes off in West Sayville on Sept. 21 starting at 11 a.m and running til 8 p.m.. Kite flying lovers can bring their own, or get a custom kite kit and build on site. The museum is located at 88 West Avenue in West Sayville.
- The Bayport-Blue Point Chamber of Commerce will hold a street fair and car show benefit for St. Jude’s Hospital on Sunday, September 22. The event features classic cars as well as vendors and will be held at the Blue Point Elementary School on Blue Point Avenue starting at 10 a.m.
- The Bayport-Blue Point Library is hosting a talk about the red fox on Sunday, September 22, at 1:00 at the library located at 203 Blue Point Ave Blue Point. Frank Vincenti, director of the Wild Dog Foundation, will discuss the ecology of foxes, their behavior, their importance to the Long Island ecosystem and how to coexist with them. Please call the library at 631-363-6133 for more information.
- "Arrowette for a Day"-Dance Clinic is taking place Saturday from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Tecumseh Elementary School's Gym at 179 Granny Rd. in Farmingville. The clinic invites grades 6-8 and the cost is $30 for walk ins.
- The Sachem Fall Festival is taking place at the Sachem Public Library, 150 Holbrook Rd. in Holbrook, Saturday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Click here for information from the Sachem Public Library's website.
- Pet Parade to Benefit the Suffolk County Coalition Against Domestic Violence Taking place Saturday at 9 a.m.The starting point will be the Congregational Church of Patchogue, 95 E. Main St. in Patchogue. Those wanting to register their pet in the parade will pay $8 in advance and $10 per pet at the door.
- "Rule the Roast" Concert & "Sincerely Live" CD Release Party Taking place Saturday at 8 p.m. at Roast Coffee & Tea Trading Company, 41 E. Main St. in Patchogue. The show features Christine Sweeney and the Dirty Stayouts and Rorie Kelly. The event will also celebrate Kelly's new CD, "Sincerely Live", which was recorded at the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts.
- 3rd Annual Liz Kelly "Run for the Sun" 5K The third annual event is taking place Sunday with registration from 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m. and a 10:30 a.m. race start time. Registration and race start is at Dublin Deck Marina, 325 River Ave. in Patchogue. Pre-registration is $25 and day of race is $30. All proceeds will be donated to the Sunrise Fund at Stony Brook University Medical Center, in memory of Liz Kelly for Pediatric Cancer Research.