Since the days when Ward Melville lived and worked in Three Village, the community has benefited from his tradition of philanthropy. These days one of the ways in which Ward Melville's legacy continues is in the form of educationally- and socially-conscious nonprofit organizations such as (but of course not limited to) these five, which are widely known to have a direct local impact:
- Each year, this organization raises thousands of dollars to support programs and purchases in the Three Village Central School District which its regular budget cannot accommodate.
- This organization facilitates the delivery of two healthy meals per day to local folks who are unable to obtain food on their own due to age, illness, or disability.
- The Stony Brook Foundation. This public charity fundraises and manages donations for the university, its teaching hospital, its students, and the Long Island State Veterans Home located on campus.
- This Stony Brook-based organization operates a 24-hour crisis management and suicide prevention hotline which also helps callers find local programs and resources to meet their mental health needs.
- Dedicated to preserving the region's rich historical identity, the TVHS maintains historic properties and develops programs for the community which help its residents understand their roots, enjoy local resources, and connect with each other.