Yes, you read that right – Stony Brook's Health Sciences Center has a rooftop farm. And on Monday night, a fundraiser will be held to celebrate and support the farm, dubbed "Stony Brook Heights Rooftop Farm."
But the farm, a volunteer operation that was initially supported by a New York State Department of Health grant, will soon lose its funding and needs help to sustain it.
Members of the community can attend this special event, which will take place Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the HSC's east deck rooftop at Level 4. In case of rain, it will take place on Wednesday. Admission is $100, with checks payable to Three Village Inn.
The event will include food tastings, book signings, and a vegetable auction, with guests including:
- Chef Guy Reuge of Mirabelle
- Chef Tom Schaudel of Jewel
- Chef Lia Fallon of Amarelle
- Chef John Mastacciuola from Stony Brook University Hospital
- Farmer & poet Scott Chaskey of Quail Hill Farm
- Leann Lavin, author of The Hamptons and Long Island Homegrown Cookbook
The rooftop farm harvests hundreds of pounds of organic food each year, which is used in preparing meals at the hospital. It is tended by volunteers. For more information on the farm, you can visit its Facebook page here.