For Greg Coman, committing to play baseball in college is a dream come true. The Ward Melville senior will be playing baseball at Harvard next year.
"I always wanted to go to a top academic school, but also play baseball," he said. "That was my dream. I got lucky enough that it worked out for me."
Coman is one of 19 Ward Melville student athletes who have committed so far this year to play college sports. On Wednesday morning, parents, students and faculty members gathered to celebrate the students' achievements.
"We're here to acknowledge the time and effort they put into their sports," athletic director Erin Blaney said. "We are here to say congratulations and to wish them all the best as they move on from Ward Melville High School."
In typical Ward Melville HS fashion, lacrosse was well represented among the student athletes, with 12 of them heading to men's and women's college lacrosse programs.
"I'm looking forward to a fresh start, meeting new friends and having new experiences," said Sam Scarfogliero, who will play lacrosse for Villanova next year.
Parents were excited, too.
"It means a lot to see what the girls and boys have worked so hard for paying off," said John Grillo, whose daughter Samantha will play lacrosse at Quinnipiac next year.
Along the way, Samantha had four surgeries and bounced back each time, her father said. "It's not always been easy. There's been adversity," he said.
Two athletes, Emily Astarita and John Fiore, were recipients of the New York State Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Suffolk Zone award, which recognizes student athletes for their scholastic, athletic and extracurricular achievements as well as character and leadership.
"I'm really excited that I received this award," Astarita said. "It was nice to be up there with such an exciting group of people."
Astarita will play volleyball for Dartmouth next year. "I'm going to miss my volleyball team, friends and all the nice faculty and staff," she said. "I'm looking forward to getting more training on a higher level."
Division I & II Commitments:
- Emily Astarita – volleyball – Dartmouth
- Deryn Blaney – lacrosse – UConn
- Jack Bruckner – lacrosse – Duke
- Gregory Coman – baseball – Harvard
- Erin Cunningham – lacrosse – Jacksonville
- Samantha Grillo – lacrosse – Quinnipiac
- Brendan Hegarty – lacrosse – UMass
- Anthony Kay – baseball – UConn
- Christian Mazzone – lacrosse – Rutgers
- Emily Rogers-Healion – lacrosse – UPenn
- Alexandra Tilley – lacrosse – UConn
- Samantha Scarfogliero – lacrosse – Villanova
- Andrew Tirelli – lacrosse – Wagner
- Madeline Wollmuth – lacrosse – Virginia Tech
- Michael Zerbo – lacrosse – New York Tech
Division III & Service Commitments:
- Erin Macchione – lacrosse – Cathloic University
- Kelsey Nagle – lacrosse – Muhlenberg
- Emily Ross – lacrosse – Ithaca
- Carly Lombardo – volleyball – Merchant Marine Academy