When a Nov. 10 loss to Liberty in Big South conference play threatened their chances of making the FCS playoffs, the Seawolves began to count on an at-large playoff berth to keep their season alive.
That's exactly what they got on Sunday.
Stony Brook (9-2, 5-1 Big South) will take on a future Colonial Athletic Association rival on Saturday: Villanova (8-3, 6-2 CAA) visits LaValle Stadium for a 3 p.m. game on Saturday.
It's also the first at-large bid Stony Brook has been awarded in any sport in its Division I history.
It's the fourth straight conference championship for Stony Brook, who shares the Big South title with Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina took the automatic playoff bid due to a tiebreaker based on road wins. Villanova finished in a four-way tie for second place, but earned the CAA's automatic bid based on a tiebreaker and the fact that Old Dominion (10-1, 7-1) was ineligible.
The winner of this game will travel to face third-seeded Montana State on December 1.
- Tickets can be purchased via www.GoSeawolves.org.
- The ticket office is open Monday-Wednesday from 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. and 12 p.m.-5 p.m. on Friday. Offices will be closed on Thanksgiving.
- Gameday ticket sales begin at 1:30 p.m. at Gates 2 and 6.
- Reserved seats are $20. General admission: adults, $14; youths and senior citizens, $10; Stony Brook faculty/staff, $10 with ID.
- Call 631-632-WOLF for additional information.