Besides being an economic engine for the surrounding towns, Stony Brook University also offers a multitude of events and programs open to the public. Here are just a few happening this week:
1. On Monday night at the Wang Center, the documentary Tyson will screen at 7 p.m. The film, which uses interviews, photos, and archival footage to shed light on the man Mike Tyson is, will be followed by a panel discussion.
2. If lacrosse is your thing, check out the SBU men's lacrosse team as it takes on Yale at 7 p.m. at LaValle Stadium.
3. Tuesday night is open craft night at the Craft Center in the Student Union building. This week's event also serves as a fundraiser for Relay for Life, with purple jewelry, purple key chains, 3D sun catchers and more. Tote bags will also be available for purchase to support the cause.
4. On Friday, head to the Staller Center at 7 p.m. for the Metropolitan Opera Live in HD, featuring Massenet's Manon. Call 631-632-ARTS for ticket information.
5. Get a glimpse into a summer full of university resources for kids – the Summer Camps at Stony Brook, which will hold an open house on Saturday between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m.