School may be the last thing on your children's minds at the moment, but we've got a few ways you can slowly start preparing them for the upcoming school year.
1. Some buildings in the district may have new school hours, so check with your school's main office for any changes. Maybe even have your child practice waking up at the right time for the start of school each day?
2. Teachers and individual schools in Three Village have begun posting their supply lists for their incoming classes; you'll find some printable lists and welcome letters from teachers on the school district's website.
3. The Three Village community has an abundance of places that sell school supplies, including , , , , , , and supermarkets. Take your pick!
4. Help your kids learn a lesson in kindness before school even starts. There are children in the community whose families need help providing them with new school supplies for this year. The office of Suffolk County Legis. Kara Hahn is a , as are and .
5. Tackle another summer reading pick – or a few more, if your child is really ambitious. Check out Three Village's leveled reading lists via the Emma S. Clark Memorial Library website here.
6. Speaking of the library, there is tutoring space available in case you want your child to brush up on his or her knowledge from last year with a tutor. Live homework help and skill building are also available via Suffolk County's Live-brary program.
7. The library also has specific test prep materials for students who have SAT, PSAT, ACT, and grade 3 through 5 New York State tests coming up.
8. If your high schooler is taking any Advanced Placement courses, there are summer assignments to complete. View a list of summer assignments from Ward Melville HS here.
9. Have a child entering kindergarten in Three Village? The district has scheduled a series of "kindergarten play dates" during August for the children to become acquainted with each other. Check with your child's school office for the specific dates and times.
10. At Smith Haven Mall, a handful of stores have already started back-to-school sales. For instance, jeans are on sale at Abercrombie and at Tilly's; backpacks are on sale at Gap Kids; school uniform items are on sale at The Children's Place; and shoes are on sale at Journeys Kidz. Check with your favorite stores for details.