Three Village voters will head to their local elementary schools on Tuesday to decide the fate of , elect two school board trustees from , and say "yes" or "no" to a proposition to .
Here are a few things to take with you on Tuesday:
- When and where: Cast your ballot between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. at your local elementary school.
- The will be used for the first time in a Three Village school election.
- The natural gas proposition is located on the back of the ballot.
- Budget by the numbers: The $178.6 million budget would cut approximately 85 staff positions, and includes $6.5 million in reductions from what a "rollover" budget would have called for.
- Programs and services: School administrators say approving the $178.6 million budget would maintain the integrity of programs and services across the district.
- Tax levy increase: This budget would carry a tax levy increase of 4.48 percent. The state's tax cap legislation, combined with its decrease of hundreds of thousands of dollars in state aid to Three Village, would have enabled the district to raise the tax levy by 2.99 percent. Thus, the district is seeking to raise the tax levy by an additional 1.49 percent.
- Your tax bill: With a 4.48 percent tax levy increase, the average homeowner would see an increase of approximately $422.
- Voter approval: Because the proposed budget would raise the tax levy more than 2.99 percent, the school district needs a supermajority of voter approval to pass the budget – meaning at least 60 percent of the community must vote "yes."
- What happens if the budget fails? A budget revote will take place on June 19. If it's necessary, school administrators have indicated they would recommend a budget that calls for a tax levy increase at the cap of 2.99 percent.
- What happens if the budget fails twice? The district cannot raise the tax levy at all, which would require an additional $5.7 million in budget cuts. According to school administrators, the fallout could include 200 lost jobs, elimination of sports and kindergarten, and class size increases in all grades and subjects.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.