When Setauket firefighters responded to an incident at a home on Tree Road in South Setauket on Feb. 3 shortly after 10 p.m., they found a house filled with smoke from a boiler fire – and two pet cats who were suffering from apparent smoke inhalation.
Assistant chief Bill Rohr said the firefighters administered oxygen therapy. "They were unresponsive when we found them, after the oxygen therapy they both reacted positively to treatment and became much more lively," he said.
The home was otherwise unoccupied at the time of the incident. A neighbor took the cats for veterinary treatment. According to fire district manager Dave Sterne, the special oxygen therapy equipment used in the rescue had been donated to the Setauket Fire Department specifically to help animals in distress.