There's no need to travel very far at all for New Year's Eve fun. Here are eight nearby places you can ring in 2013. But drive safely, and don't leave the house without the number of a taxi service, just in case. Jot this down: Lindy's Taxi can be reached at 631-473-0707, and Tom's Taxi can be reached at 631-331-1121.
1. Mirabelle Restaurant will celebrate the New Year with an elegant dinner party. Check out the menu here and call 631-751-0555 for reservations. Mirabelle Tavern will also be open – and the chefs will bang the pots and pans at midnight.
2. Last Call at Raga will offer a $20 open bar between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. with food and a champagne toast at midnight. The Reggae band Quadralove will be playing between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.
3. At the Velvet Lounge in Setauket, three bands and DJ Kaution will entertain, while guests enjoy a full buffet and champagne toast.
4. At the Middle Country Beer Garden in nearby Centereach, ring in the new year with a $20 open bar special between 9 p.m. and midnight with a champagne toast. Tickets are available at www.Aliststatus.com.
5. At Country Corner in East Setauket, enjoy a free champagne toast and appetizer buffet along with $2 Bud and Bud Light bottles.
6. At Bliss Restaurant in Setauket, early birds can get a three-course meal beween 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. for $36.95 per person, followed by open seating starting at 7 p.m. for $59.95, featuring a champagne toast, hats and noisemakers, and a live DJ.
7. Checkmate Inn in Setauket is another local place worth checking out on New Year's Eve.
8. Check out Wave Restaurant at Danford's Inn in Port Jefferson, which will offer a buffet special for $85 per person.