Looks like Friday's weather forecast is for a sunny day in the high 60s – perhaps a bit on the chilly side for anyone planning to take a dip in the Roth Pond at Stony Brook – unintentional or otherwise. And you can bet it's a nice setting for an outdoor yoga class, too – there's one of those happening Friday as well.
1. The Roth Pond Regatta is a much-loved tradition at Stony Brook University in which students – and even some administrators – race across the pond in makeshift boats they've constructed using only the following: duct tape, cardboard, and paint. The race kicks off at noon, and trophies will be awarded to the winners.
2. Pop artist Bruno Mars will perform at Stony Brook Friday night in a show that also features singer Janelle Monae. Tickets are sold out – so we're really just warning you in case you get stuck in a traffic jam later on Nicolls Road.
3. It's fair to say there's a sub-genre of movie fans who are specifically Johnny Depp fans. You can catch a free showing of his recent flick at the library at 2 p.m. Friday.
4. For Ward Melville students, Friday is the last day to sign up to take the SAT exam being offered on June 4 or the ACT exam being offered on June 11. Ask your guidance counselor for more information.
5. A at Avalon Park combines relaxation with nature, starting at 10 a.m. at the barn located off of Shep Jones Lane. But if you can't make it out in the morning, there's an evening deal, too: at Mindful Turtle at 5:45 p.m.
Bonus: We've been featuring a different video profile each day of the candidates for the Three Village Board of Education. Wednesday we introduced you to Frank McIntosh, followed by Deanna Bavlnka on Thursday. Friday's profile will be Charlie Massimo and Monday we'll have a profile on Inger Germano, so check back with us for those videos.