Worshipers from across the local religious congregations and members of the public are invited to attend the annual Three Village interfaith service, set for Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Stony Brook.
The annual event occurs right before Thanksgiving to bring together the different faith communities in Three Village for a Thanksgiving service with a different theme each year. This year's theme is "Teach Your Children Well."
"It’s a very powerful message for us to give," said Rev. Margie Allen, the leader of the UUFSB congregation and the president of the Three Village Interfaith Clergy Association.
There will be a children's story and young people will speak at the service. UUFSB's co-directors of music, Dan Weymouth and Janet Hanson, will lead a combined choir with members from the different faiths singing together. A reception will follow the service.
"With all the religious tension in the world right now, I think this is the very least we can do in our small communities, to gather on such occasions to celebrate together, learn about each other, meet each other as friends," Allen said.
A collection will be taken to support the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum. In addition, UUFSB will serve as a collection site for items needed by the victims of Hurricane Sandy. The congregation's Social Justice Committee is not collecting clothing, but is seeking donations of the following items:
- Coats, hats, gloves, scarves (NO GENERAL CLOTHING)
- Non-perishable food
- flashlight batteries, esp C & D batteries
- heavy duty contractor bags
- head lamps with batteries
- baby diapers & baby wipes
- baby food & baby formula
- toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, soap, pads, tampons
- disposable dishware
- 3M masks
- long handled scrub brushes
- 1 gallon plastic bottles of white vinegar (mold remediation)
- industrial mops and buckets
- shovels for scooping up debris
- stiff bristle, heavy duty brooms
- disposable hand warmers (Costco sells in bulk)
- school supplies and backpacks
- heavy duty work gloves
- 5-gallon pails
- paper towels