Sometimes the best gift you can give is one that allows others to pursue a passion. For those who love to work with their hands and take on new projects, here's a guide to help you find gifts they might appreciate.
1. on Route 25A in East Setauket is a natural choice. The store has a friendly, small-business feel while still offering access to major brands and appliances for almost all home improvement projects. It's open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Sunday.
2. Lowe's in Stony Brook on Route 347 is another logical option, and a gift card will allow the do-it-yourselfer in your life to pick out exactly what they need. The store is open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday.
3. And of course there's Home Depot, located on Pond Path in South Setauket. A word of advice: Leave yourself plenty of time for browsing when you stop in! The store is open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday.
4. In nearby Smithtown, is another option. It's located at 82 West Main Street, and is open 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Sunday.
5. A new coat of paint can be a good starting place for novice do-it-yourselfers. at 395 East Main Street in Smithtown can help with that. It's open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
6. In nearby Port Jefferson, gardening enthusiasts will appreciate a gift from . Stop by Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., or Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
7. Light up the night with products from at 741 Smithtown Bypass, a family business which is open six days a week and offers a showroom full of lighting options.
8. Find a world of possibilities and inspirational pieces for do-it-yourself interior designers at , which has locations on Route 25A in East Setauket and Stony Brook.
9. is also a great place for the basics of do-it-yourself projects, especially if you're starting a big organization or design project.
10. is a new business in town that offers some great resources for those who love sewing and quilting, including products and classes.